MCT stands for medium chain triglyceride, and it is commonly found in foods like coconut oil. Medium chain references the number or length of carbon atoms in the molecule, and triglyceride is a scientific word for fat or fatty acids of which there are three types:
There are four common types of MCTs where the number represents the amount of carbon atoms in the chain:
· C6: Caproic acid
· C8: Caprylic acid
· C10: Capric acid
· C12: Lauric acid
Currently, there is much debate over whether or not C12 acts as a true MCT in the body. Some contest that it acts...
Did you see the article shared by USA Today and many other news stations that stated how the American Heart Association says eating coconut oil isn't healthy? Here is the article.
One line from the article states, "You can put it on your body, but don’t put it in your body," Sacks said.
I know that as consumers this is SO confusing!! One group says coconut/saturated fat isn’t “bad,” and there this well respected organization is saying something different! What are we supposed to do?
Well, we need to educate ourselves, people. The AHA is the same group who told us to eat low-fat foods loaded with sugar and margarine laced with trans fats. Ugh.
1. Let’s get on the same page- we all understand FAT is not bad, right?
And that sugar is actually more the culprit for most health diseases!?
2. This is not a “NEW” study. The article even says, this is a review of existing studies. People like “disruptive” headlines though
Trying to follow a higher fat diet? Getting your macros in line with a ketogenic diet? Try these "fat bombs" for a quick, easy and yummy way to boost your healthy fats for the day!
Keep them in the freezer, and let them sit room temp for a few min before diving in!
Here is the recipe!
* 1/2 cup coconut butter (creamed coconut)
* 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
* 2 Tbs MCT Oil
* 1 tsp peppermint extract
* ½-1 teaspoons liquid stevia
* ½ cup dark (70%+ cocoa) chocolate chips
* cup coconut oil
* Muffin liners-12
1. Soften coconut butter by putting bag in warm water or removing from container and microwaving.
2. Mix together coconut butter, 2 Tbs MCT oil, shredded coconut, mint and stevia.
3. Distribute evenly among 12 muffin liners. Set in freezer to harden.
4. Once hardened, combine coconut oil and dark chocolate chips in microwave safe bowl (or double boiler) and cook until smooth.
5. Distribute evenly over...