Low Carb Spaghetti Squash Pizza Pie Recipe
Jun 27, 2018
Okay, okay, okay simmer down! I’m sharing the recipe! It wasn’t my own, I actually was inspired by this recipe to make it. I’ve made it at least a dozen times and it’s a big crowd pleaser and hit with the family!
I’ve experimented a few ways, so learn from my mistakes:
- It does NOT make a good freezer meal
- You can however make it the night before, leave in the fridge, come home and throw it in the oven the next night (I like to make this on Sunday and eat on Monday)
- You cannot swap out pasta sauce instead, it is too watery
- Cheese is optional, but definitely makes it more pizza like. The family will never know it’s missing though if you want to experiment
- I’ve omitted the meat completely and it was a great vegetarian dish
- I’ve used ground turkey and ground beef, it is delicious both times
- The pepperoni on top this time was truly icing on the cake- like all meats, and especially pepperoni, look for a better quality one that is uncured & nitrate free
- 1 whole spaghetti squash
- 1 pound ground beef/turkey
- 1 8oz jar pizza sauce
- 3 Tbs Italian seasonings
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 large pepperonis (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Cook and prepare your spaghetti squash til it’s cooked but not overly soft. I prefer to poke holes in the whole thing, microwave it for 8 minutes, let cool, then cut in half “hot dog style.” Then scrape out the inside seeds and discard. Then using a fork peel apart the “noodles.”
- Cook ground beef or turkey with the Italian seasonings. Let cool.
- Once all is cooked, in a large bowl mix together the squash, meat, pizza sauce, eggs and salt.
- Mix well.
- Coat an 8x8 pan with cooking spray, and add mixture to the pan. Top with parmesan cheese and pepperoni.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, until the top is starting to brown and it isn’t “jiggly” anymore with the cooked eggs.
- Let sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Add additional crushed red peppers or parmesan to taste!
Makes 6 servings. Approx per serving (based on Myfitnesspal calculations with all ingredients): Calories: 320, Fat: 19g, Carbs: 7 g, Fiber: 2g, Protein: 29g
Busy Moms, Healthy Family Guide
35 healthy snack ideas with REAL foods!
3 quick & easy freezer meals!
Tips for pulling this all together!
Download for free!